Selecting a synthetic or a human wig can be challenging if you don't know much about them. Consider taking a look at the 2 wigs below. Can you tell which one is human hair and which one is made of synthetic fiber?
Human Hair Wigs Vs. Synthetic Wigs
Human hair wigs:
- Typically much more expensive.
- There are different types and grades. Remy human hair is highly desired because all the follicles align from root to tip which makes the wig less likely to tangle. Virgin hair is also in demand since there is no processing involved. This makes the hair last longer.
- Much more versatile in terms of styling with heat. Can be colored and dyed.
- Human wigs have more longevity than synthetic wigs.
- There are more types of cap constructions to select from ranging from full lace, glueless full lace, front lace , etc. Some of the lace cap constructions also allow for parting of the hair. This means you can make a middle part or a side part.
- Human hair wigs are also generally much lighter and consequently, more comfortable to wear.
-They are usually more breathable as well.
Synthetic hair wigs
- They are made of synthetic fibers, often either Kanekalon or Futura. These fibers are extremely realistic and it is often difficult to determine if the wig is human or synthetic.
- These wigs come pre-styled so there is no need for you to style it. If the wig is made of Futura fiber, you can use a little heat on it to curl the hair otherwise it is not advisable to use heated styling tools.
- Synthetic wigs are extremely efficient if you are in a rush because all you have to do is put it on.
- These wigs feel a bit heavier and are often less breathable than human hair wigs.
Look inside our synthetic wig collection and checkout your favorite color here
How to distinguish Human hair wigs and synthetic wigs?
Light it on FIRE!!
It is easy to tell the difference between real hair and synthetic hair. It can be distinguished by the smell and flame retardancy, by burning it with a lighter. When you burn synthetic hair, it has the smell of plastic while human hair has the smell of burning real hair.
Human hair is not that easy to burn and the hair will roll when the fire is close, and it is difficult to burn up. On the other hand, synthetic fiber does not have good flame retardancy. It will burn up when the fire is close.
Test with hair straightener
1. Plug it in the power.
2. Adjust the temperature of the hair straightener up to 220 degrees.
3. Wait for the high temperature, and gently straighten. Pull 4-5 times.
4. If the hair is real human hair, it will be straighten, and it it is synthetic wig, it will be curled or melted.